1. Jalapeno and Garlic Plantains
a. Green plantain
b. Jalapeno pepper
c. Fresh garlic
e. Vegetable oil
1. Chop one whole green plantain in thin slices.
2. Chop one to two cloves of garlic finely.
3. Chop one quarter to one half of a jalapeno pepper into chunks.
4. Heat 2 – 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
5. When the oil gets warm add the chopped garlic and jalapeno.
6. Let the mix simmer for 1 minute.
7. Add the plantains.
8. Let the plantains cook until they turn golden in color.
9. Sprinkle with salt
10. Serves 1
2. MOPAC Escovitch Fish
a. Tilapia or Red Snapper
b. White vinegar
c. Yellow carrots
d. Jamaican peppers (also called Scotch Bonnet peppers)
e. Fresh garlic
f. Vegetable oil
g. Medium yellow onion
1. Add ¼ cup of white vinegar to a small bowl.
2. Chop one half of a medium yellow onion into thin slices (julienne will work).
3. Chop one quarter to one half of a Jamaican pepper into thin slices (dependent on your tolerance for pepper).
4. Chop one half of an orange carrot thinly.
5. Chop one clove of garlic finely.
6. Add items 2 – 6 to the small bowl.
7. Heat 2 -3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
8. Transfer the fish to the pan.
9. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper (dependent on your taste)
9. Cook the fish until the meat turns white.
10. Add the Escovitch sauce to the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes.
11. Serves 1
3. Janaga Soup
7. Vegetable stock
1. Chop finely one stalk of scallion
2. Chop finely 1/8 teaspoon of thyme and 1 clove or garlic.
3. Chop one cup of potatoes and 1/2 cup of yam into peanut sized chunks
4. Chop 1/4 teaspoon of scotch bonnet pepper
5. Add all ingredients to 7 ounces of vegetable stock (can be substituted with bouillon)
6. Cook all ingredients in pot until potatoes and yams are cooked.